The year was 1881, and it was a grim year for the nation’s second oldest college. The College of William and Mary had suspended its courses because no students enrolled. President Ewell rang the bell in the Wren Building yearly to maintain the school’s charter while attempting to secure private and governmental funding. In 1887, with the College facing bankruptcy, several board of visitors negotiated with the general assembly to offer teacher training, or “normal” instruction, alongside its traditional curriculum. With state funding guaranteed, The College of William and Mary and Normal School reopened in 1888. This lecture discusses how teacher training saved the College.